Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chapter 3 Assignment

The three principals that I think would be important for education are Committed Learning Principle, Discovery Principle, and the Practice Principle. The Committed Learning Principle gives learners alot of effort and practice. In this principle students get to experience the best of both worlds. Some commitment is still involved in order for the student to accomplish a task. The Practice Principle gives learners a chance to master a skill. For example, in P.E. students have to practice shooting free throws in basketball in order to perform it accurately. The skill or context should not be boring to the student and it should keep them engaged in learning the task. The Discovery Principle is the most important in my opinion. Students should be allowed to experiment and make discoveries in order to enhance their learning experience. Students should participate in varying hands on activities that relate to real life situations which will allow them to get a better understanding of what is being taught.

The activity that I would support for my simulation would have to be related to physcial education. If I was covering muscles of the human body, I would give a simulation where students become a professional body builder performing different types of weight lifting exercises while describing which muscles they are using in the process. My focus would be to teach the students what muscles are being used during each weight lifting activity. This will give students a better understanding of the muscles they use during physical activities.

To conclude, Gee's principles and simulations can play an important role in education. They both focus on keeping students engaged and experiencing hands on and real life situations. As a physical education teacher, I may not use simulations in my classroom but they are useful for other subject areas such as biology or anatomy. 


Jonasse D., Howland J., Marra R. M., & Crismond D. (2008). Meaningful Learning with Technology. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the practice principle is very important, we know that practice makes perfect and this is how we get better. You might think as a simulation in a p.e class as like enacting a first aid scenario like check, call, care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of the principles you chose, they are very important. I like the simulation you chose, I think students would enjoy learning about the muscles and getting exercise!

    Britanie Talley

    ReplyDelete
  3. The simulations may not work for all subect areas as well, but I liked your idea for the simulation that you gave for physical education. You could even make it so if they over worked a specific muscle group it would show the damage that would occure. It is an interesting concept, the cause and effect that the actions that one takes and how it can affect the outcome of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your simulation! Its a very creative way to teach them the muscles while still keeping them active!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea on the professional body builder simulation. I think that would be a fun and exciting thing for physical education students to do.

    ReplyDelete