Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog Posting Week 4

I think that spreadsheets are interesting and useful. I wish I knew more about using spreadsheets because sometimes they are complicated to use, and they don't do what you want them to do. However, for the most part they are very useful. I would use the spreadsheets in my classroom for attendance and grading. Since I am teaching P.E., those are the only things that I would probably use spreadsheets for.

We as teachers, use spreadsheets to record data, create assignments and take attendance. For example, you can keep up with student's grades using spreadsheets. The spreadsheet does the math for you and averages out student's grades. You can also create assignments on spreadsheets such as matching or creating charts. According to the book, "spreadsheets have been used most consistently in schools management tools for accounting, but they are being used increasingly as Mindtools to support higher-order quantitative thinking pg. 89." Spreadsheets are also used for taking attendance. You can list all the student's names on the spreadsheet and use the boxes to check them off for attendance. The advantage of a spreadsheet over a calculator is that it can record more data at one time. For example, once you figure out the final average grade for one student in a certain row, the spreadsheet will average out all the other student's grades. It takes alot less time to do this on a spreadsheet than it does on a calculator.

The book states, "spreadsheets have three primary functions: storing, calculating, and presenting information pg. 89." I think that these functions can be very beneficial to teachers. Some teaching fields will use spreadsheets more than others, but they are used at some point in a teacher's career. Spreadsheets can also contain pictures that go along with the information presented. For example when I did my matching assignment for our class, I added two pictures to go along with my lesson. I thought that was really cool.
To conclude, Spreadsheets have alot to offer when it comes to certain criteria. I know that in the future, I will be using spreadsheets at some point in my teaching career.  

Crismond, David, Howland, Jane, Jonassen, David, Marra, Rose M.(2008). Meaningful Learning With Technology. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall

3 comments:

  1. very good post! I think that spreadsheets would be very useful to a P.E. teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I feel that the spreadsheet is a very usful tool as a teacher. I also understand where you are coming from when you say they are hard to use. I feel that since I like them so much that it will make it easier to learn more about them. I feel that if you jut spend some time messing around with it, you will be able to take advantage of the excel program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that spreadsheets have many uses in the education field. Since you are going to teach p.e., I think you could use spreadsheets for score keeping or scheduling a fitness plan. You could also create a chart or a map for nutritional information. I think spreadsheets (excel) can be used for almost everything if you put your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete